Sculptra (injectable poly-l-lactic acid) is a non-surgical, cosmetic treatment to reduce facial lines and wrinkles, and create a fuller and more youthful appearance to your face.As we age, our faces begin to show the effects of gravity, exposure to the sun and many years of facial muscle movement such as smiling, chewing and squinting our eyes. The underlying tissues that keep our skin looking youthful begin to break down, often leaving laugh lines, smile lines, crow’s feet or facial creases over the areas where muscle movement occurs.
Dr Azizzadeh’s Philosophy for Sculptra:
We have to listen to our patients and we have to educate our patients so that we can explain the procedures and products that will give them the best results. Balance is very important. I think that we usually under treat patients, and as a result they’re not happy with the results. It’s always important to make sure that we achieve the correction that will give the patient a great result.
On the other hand, we should also recognize that the face should not be overfilled or overstuffed; there should still be contours and shadows that preserve a natural-looking face. We sometimes see people whose buccal spaces have been overfilled, so they get an unattractive round face when they started out with an oval face. Make sure that the zygomatic arch, lips and cheeks aren’t overfilled.
The injection techniques and the injection protocol are very important so that too much — or too little — product isn’t injected. Balance is very important.
Sculptra Before and After Photos:
Pre-Treatment Guidelines for Sculptra Aesthetic:
Medications to Discontinue 7 Days Before Treatment to Avoid Bruising
– Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Aleve)
– St. John’s Wort
– Omega 3 fatty acids
– Vitamin E
– Ginkgo Biloba
Cold Sores: If you have a history of cold sores, ask us about pre-care instructions so we can prescribe you with an anti-viral medication.
Post-Treatment Guidelines for Sculptra Aesthetic:
Sculptra Side Effects
The intensity and duration of your side effects depends on the treatment aggressiveness and your individual healing characteristics, but usually can last up to a week after treatment.
– Swelling: You will notice most of the swelling the first morning after treatment, particularly under the eyes. Swelling usually lasts 2-3 days. To minimize swelling:
- Apply cold compresses to the treatment area for 10 minutes every hour
- Sleep elevated the first night. Use as many pillows as you can tolerate.
- Take Arnica Montana and/or Bromelain supplements, which can be found at your local pharmacy or herbal supplement store.
- The initial swelling after treatment to the lips may last longer. Some patients experience swelling for up to a week and the lips can look somewhat ‘uneven’ during this time. After the swelling has subsided, you will be able to see your true results.
– Redness: You may apply makeup immediately after treatment to minimize the redness.
– Tenderness/Pain: You may take Tylenol if necessary.
After Treatment Massage
Use the rule of 5. Massage for 5 minutes, 5 times a day for 5 days. This is necessary to distribute the product evenely and to increase the effectiveness of the product. Even if it may be slightly uncomfortable to massage the area for the first couple of days, it is still necessary. The easiest time to massage is when the face is moistened with a cleanser or moisturizer, and in the shower.
After Treatment Skin Care
– Avoid Excessive Sun and Heat: Until any initial swelling and redness has resolved.. This includes aggressive exercise.
– Sunscreen: Proper and frequent application of sunscreen is always important. The sunscreen should offer broadband protection (UVA and UVB) and have a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or more. You should apply sunscreen 20 minutes before going outside, and again, immediately before. After that, reapply your sunscreen every 2 hours. If direct sun exposure is necessary, wear a hat and clothing that covers the treated area. Use this regimen during the healing period and always.
Sculptra as Part of the Liquid Brow Lift
Learn more about Sculptra Aesthetic
Visit Sculptra’s Website to hear from real women who have used Sculptra Aesthetic.
Dr. Azizzadeh was recently ask about that sale of Sculptra by Canadian based pharma company Sanofi. Sanofi has sold the rights of Sculptra to Valeant Pharmaceuticals. View the comments regarding the sale by Dr. Azizzadeh here
Dermal injectable fillers are one of the most popular non-surgical treatments being performed today, but it is important to have dermal fillers performed by an experienced cosmetic surgeon, not just any one. Contact Dr. Azizzadeh today if you live in the Beverly Hills or Los Angeles, California area and would like to schedule an initial consultation. During your initial consultation Dr Azizzadeh will perform a throughout facial assessment and find the right filler or combination of fillers to fit your unique needs.