Neck Lift Surgery Experts
Aging Process of the Neck
For many people, the neck area is where some of the first and most obvious signs of aging begin to appear. The skin of the neck often becomes loose and slack, and fat deposits and flaps of tissue can make us appear older than our actual age.
Some of the factors that contribute to the aesthetic problems that develop around the neck area include:
- Fat deposits – Deposits of excess fat can accumulate in the neck and jowls as we age
- Loss of skin elasticity – The skin of the neck is particularly susceptible to loss of elasticity with age
- Lax muscles – The muscles on either side of the neck begin to lose their structure and elasticity as well.
- Aging of the sub-muscular system – The underlying structure of the neck begins to suffer from sagging, drooping, and loose excess skin in the neck area
Click To Expand For Necklift Videos
The neck lift procedure addresses each of the issues listed above as necessary to restore and revitalize the appearance of your neck and throat. During the procedure, we will do the following as necessary:
- Join and tighten the muscles of the neck, creating a firmer muscle base
- Remove excess fat deposits
- Trim excess skin, and smooth the skin for a taut, more youthful neckline
Depending on your needs and goals, your customized neck lift in Beverly Hills might consist of one or both of two different procedures:
- Skin lift – The skin lift procedure consists of lifting and tightening the skin along the throat, and removing excess skin to create firmer, tighter facial features.
- Platysmaplasty – A procedure in which the underlying muscles are tightened and fat is repositioned. This procedure provides more dramatic results for patients whose underlying neck tissue is very lax.
If you’ve been looking for a way to correct the signs of aging in your neck area, a neck lift from our team of expert physicians may have the solution for you. Contact Dr. Azizzadeh and Dr. Cabin today to schedule your initial neck lift consultation where you will be able to learn just what to expect from your neck lift procedure.
Click to Read About Necklifts For Men
Necklift For Men
Once upon a time, women were the main recipients of facelifts. While women still continue to dominate the majority of surgical and non-surgical facial rejuvenation procedures performed in this country each year, it is becoming more and more common – and more and more acceptable – for men to join their ranks. In fact, according to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, “Men had 9 percent of cosmetic procedures. The number of procedures (surgical and non-surgical) performed on men was just over 1 million, an increase of 17 percent from the previous year.”
When it comes to necklifts for men and women, both procedures are typically the same. However, men age differently than women and they also have different needs and desires. This is where a female and male facelift tend to differ.
As men age, they desire to have a more youthful, virile and natural appearance. Men generally do not mind having some wrinkles to show for their life experience; however, they do mind having bags under their eyes and loose skin in the neck and jowl region . This heavy, sagging look is the reason most men seek facial rejuvenation.
For some men, a face and neck lift (also known as rhytidectomy) can solve most of their concerns. For others, they may also require multilevel fat grafting, eyelift (blepharoplasty), or fillers to complete a more youthful look by eliminating the drooping or sagging that can also occur above and below the eye. Dr. Azizzadeh and Dr. Cabin make sure to carefully perform plastic surgery for men to preserve masculinity.
How is a male facelift and neck lift performed?
Male facelifts are very similar in nature to the female facelift; however there are some major differences that your surgeon must be aware of. Since men have side-burns, the incision in front of the ear needs to be carefully planned. I typically like to avoid that incision all together if possible by utilizing endoscopic facelift techniques and incisions behind the ear to completely camouflage. Another important issue in men is the over-pulled look windswept look. This is absolutely not acceptable as most men want to have a completely natural look.
If definition is an issue, implants may be utilized to improve a receding chin or underdeveloped cheek region. If complimentary procedures are agreed upon before hand, like injectables for definition or an eyelift to decrease sagging eyelids, these may be done at this time as well.
What should I know before a male facelift consultation?
Men should be aware to choose their surgeon carefully. They should make sure that their surgeon is board-certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery or the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Furthermore, their surgeon should have expertise in men and facial rejuvenation. In addition to their skill set, the surgeon needs to have the correct “aesthetic eye” so that the final outcome is in line with your expectations.. In particular, since men tend to wear their hair shorter than women and thus have less options for hiding scar tissue, you will want to discuss the injection sites, how much scarring may or may not occur and the pros and cons of each option.
How long might recovery time from a neck lift or facelift last?
The male facelift or neck lift is typically performed as an outpatient procedure. Recovery time is often as short as one to two weeks. However, as with all surgical procedures, you must have someone care for you for at least 72 hours after your surgery is done. Read more about plastic surgery options for men.
Post-Surgery Information You will be given a surgery packet with thorough information detailing the healing process, what to expect and tips to reduce swelling and bruising. However, here are a few additional tips:
- Clean the incisions with hydrogen peroxide once daily.
- Apply antibiotic ointments to all incisions twice daily.
- All stitches will be removed in 4-8 days.
- Wear the chinstrap provided as much as possible for 1 week after leaving surgery center. Remove if skin irritation begins. DO NOT allow Ace bandage to roll up or wrinkle under the chin.
- DO NOT use earrings for three (3) weeks after surgery.
- Ice cubes in rubber gloves, cold compresses or frozen peas should be used for 72 hours on an hourly basis when awake. Then after, use warm compress in areas of bruising.
- KEEP HEAD ELEVATED WHILE RESTING, RELAXING, OR SLEEPING FOR AT LEAST 1-2 WEEKS.
- You may shower with lukewarm water starting 48 hours after surgery.
- No heavy exercise for 2 weeks.
Meet Our Surgeons
Jonathan Cabin, MD
Dr. Jonathan Cabin is a board certified facial plastic surgeon with dual sub-specialty training in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery. After his training at Yale, Dr. Cabin went on to complete an elite Facial Plastic Surgery fellowship, offered to only one surgeon each year. Dr. Cabin’s extensive knowledge and keen eye for aesthetics make him one of the most sought after physicians in Los Angeles. Dr. Cabin has published multiple textbook chapters and peer review articles and continues to contribute to the field through his philanthropic trips to treat patients in Peru and China.
Babak Azizzadeh, MD, FACS
Dr. Azizzadeh is world renowned facial plastic surgeon who is double board certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and The American Board of Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery. Dr. Azizzadeh has become widely regarded for his superior level of expertise and his contributions to the field of facial plastic surgery. His prestigious training at both UCLA and Harvard Medical School give him a unique insight into both facial function and aesthetics. Dr. Azizzadeh has written multiple textbooks including the popular consumer guidebook Beverly Hills Beauty Secrets and has been featured in a variety of media outlets like The Doctors, The Oprah Winfrey Show, and both the LA and NY Times.
Learn More about Neck Lift
To learn more about a neck lift or any of the facial rejuvenation procedures we offer at the Center for Advanced Facial Plastic Surgery, please contact Dr. Azizzadeh and Dr. Cabin to set up an initial consultation. We offer phone consultations for out-of-town patients if you are interested. Dr. Azizzadeh is also the author of several books which he encourages his patients to read before undergoing their procedure.